Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Drunken Chili Recipe Tried

 
I will make what I changed in a different color so you know what I did different.
 
2 Tablespoons salt pork, minced Used the entire package that I bought like 1/4 lb. I didnt know what this was, so I googled it.  I was able to find this at Wal-Mart, made by Smithfield.
2 pounds London broil, diced 1 inch We used stew meat.
1 large yellow onion, minced
1 green bell pepper, sliced We used 2 green peppers
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoon jalapeño, seeded and minced
2-3 Tablespoons chili powder
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander I didnt have any, and it was expensive so left it out
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes I had ground red pepper so used that instead
1 bottle Dos Equis Amber (minus 1 sip) Jeremy took more like 2 gulps don't let him kid you.
¼ cup tequilla Not even going to tell you how much of this he drank!
1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
1 28 ounce can tomato purée
2 15 ounce cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed

Directions:
1. Cook the salt pork until golden brown. Remove salt pork with slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Add diced meat to pan and quickly brown all sides, remove meat from pat and set aside.
3. In same pot add onions, peppers, garlic, and jalapeño and sauté until tender, adding oil if necessary.
4. Add chili powder, cumin, coriander and red pepper flakes, stir to mix.
5. Add beer and tequilla to pot with vegetables and spices and reduce liquid by half.
6. Add diced tomatoes and tomato purée to pan, bring to boil, reduce heat and add the cooked meat and simmer with a lid on for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
7. Remove lid from pot, add beans, and simmer for an additional 30 to 60 minutes or until meat is tender.
8. Add browned salt pork and adjust seasonings.

Now Jeremy added stuff while I was gone, lots of brown sugar.  I think some would have been good, but he may have used to much. I did hear a comment at the cook off that it was too sweet. Oh and he added unsweetened coca powder as well.  People commented they liked the "bacon".

I really liked it. We didnt win the contest, but we had fun making this together and hanging out with our friends afterwards.


No comments:

Post a Comment